InMotion Hosting Review
Is InMotion Hosting a good web host? Read our full, unbiased InMotion Hosting review with pros & cons, recommended use, performance stats, screenshots, FAQs, coupons, & more.
|Data center location #1:||Los Angeles, CA|
|Data center location #2:||Virginia Beach, VA|
A Quick Overview:
InMotion Hosting is an affordable, high performance web hosting company that is widely recommended for small businesses, start-ups, and enterprise websites. We've found InMotion Hosting to be one of the fastest and most reliable web hosting service providers on the market – with faster page load speeds than the average web hosting service. InMotion Hosting is widely recognized as one of the leading providers for self-hosted business websites and is endorsed by us, CNET, PCMag, and many other professional review sites. We highly recommend them for both small and large businesses that need fast, safe, and reliable web hosting.
Why choose InMotion Hosting:
- Shared, VPS, and dedicated plans for websites of any size
- High performance, business grade web hosting solutions
- Free backup and restore tools for your website
- Free private SSL with all shared business hosting plans
- More RAM, more storage, and more bandwidth compared to the other web hosts.
- Both secure and reliable, which makes it a great choice for ecommerce
- Uses cPanel, the industry standard control panel for managing your web hosting account
- The best customer support you’ll ever receive via telephone & email
- Preferred choice for WordPress, Drupal, and Joomla CMS websites
- Now with FREE solid state drives (SSD) for enhanced performance
- Allows customers to choose geographical server location during checkout for maximum speeds & reduced latency
What are the disadvantages:
- Signup verification via phone – all purchases must be manually verified to eliminate fake users/spam
- Occasional hardware upgrades and scheduled maintenance
- A limited number of site add-ons (2 domains allowed) for the “Launch” plan (their most basic hosting plan)
- Premium website builder feels old and outdated – not the best choice
The bottom line:
InMotion Hosting is our top choice for hosting a website and we highly recommend them for professional businesses of all sizes. They offer high performance web hosting with exceptional customer support. We also highly recommend them for hosting WordPress, Drupal, and Joomla sites. InMotion Hosting now offers free integration of BoldGrid for web designers looking to use a premium website builder with WordPress. Other open source website builder tools are also available using “one click” installation with Softaculous.
InMotion Hosting has a 90 day money-back guarantee so you can try it risk-free. Try it Now
InMotion Hosting was founded back in 2001 by Sunil Saxena and Todd Robinson, two former hosting employees from the Open Source World. Sunil & Todd had a vision to create a superior web hosting service that would serve the needs of businesses of all sizes and provide stellar customer support. They worked hard to build a new company by using premium hardware and developing the first “green” data center in Los Angeles. Through their commitment to professional innovation, InMotion Hosting has grown quickly and received numerous awards. In 2003, just 2 years after the company's launch, InMotion Hosting had already become a leader in the web hosting industry and was recognized as a Certified CNET Hosting Provider (a standard which it continues to hold today more than 13 years later). InMotion Hosting is accredited with the Better Business Bureau, holding an A+ rating, and still has big plans for the future. InMotion Hosting continues to expand its reach with a mission to create more server locations throughout the world, specifically in South America, Asia, and Europe.
InMotion Hosting is a full service Linux web hosting provider that offers a wide variety of business grade hosting plans suitable for websites of any size. Whether you are looking to build a brand new website or transfer a large, established one with advanced processing and traffic requirements, you can easily find a plan that fits your requirements. Each plan offers a full range of software features and different levels of hardware performance – Shared Hosting, Virtual Private Servers (VPS), Dedicated Servers, and Managed Hosting for CMS websites. Most small business owners and entrepreneurs typically start off with a shared hosting plan and then upgrade to a VPS account after successfully scaling the site's user community.
Shared web hosting
Managed & self-managed VPS web hosting
Managed WordPress hosting
Reseller web hosting
Dedicated server web hosting
Listed below is a more detailed review of all the different web hosting plans offered at InMotion Hosting and what each one is best recommended for.
Shared Web Hosting Plans
InMotion Hosting's shared web hosting plans are optimized to meet the requirements for modern web development using the LAMP stack (Linux, Apache, MySQL, & PHP) and include a free upgrade to a solid state drive (SSD), a free domain name, and a free SSL certificate on every account. The servers include SSH access for custom configuration and version control, as well as support for PostgreSQL, Ruby, Perl, and Python. Developers can also choose between PHP versions 5.6, 5.7, or 7.0 for maximum flexibility in supporting custom application requirements. The combination of business-class hardware and a full suite of software tools, including over 400 free applications, makes their shared plans the preferred choice for websites requiring high performance on a low cost basis.
Here's a quick pricing overview of their shared web hosting plans:
|Shared Plans:||Introductory Price:||Renewal Price:||Compare:|
Key Features We Like:
- Their lowest cost “Launch” account is perfect for single site owners who need an additional sandbox environment for development and testing. Take advantage of the speed and flexibility of the InMotion Hosting data center architecture on the most cost effective basis, including a free website transfer from other hosting companies.
- WordPress is automatically installed via account creation – a convenient feature for WP users. Of course, this could be a con if you're not using WordPress.
- All shared plans come with SSDs.
- The “Power” account is targeted to multi-site owners who need integrated web hosting facilities and an easy way to manage multiple domains under a single administration panel. This plan is recommended for web entrepreneurs, start-up site owners, and small businesses with a portfolio of domains that are under expansion.
- The “Pro” account is optimal for web professionals who frequently launch many different sites under a single company framework or have many domains under development at the same time. The performance gains, cPanel management, and domain tools provide everything required for web development in an optimized environment.
- Ability to choose the geolodcation of your server (east and west coast location)
- They have integrated many of the tools from their managed WordPress hosting service into the basic plans. This means that developers can access BoldGrid tools for WordPress, use WP-CLI for command line management, or access a pre-installed version of the CMS.
What We Don't Like:
- After you purchase a shared hosting plan from their website, you’ll need to be verified by phone. This means that after checkout, you won't be able to log into your account and start settings things up until after the verification. Basically a staff member from InMotion Hosting will call you to verify that you are a real person who is intending on hosting a real site that is not spam or containing any illegal activities. They are very strict about spam, which is a good thing. Although unfortunately, it does mean that you won't have access to your account immediately after you signup. You may need to wait about 30 minutes before they call, verify, and activate your account. You can speed up the whole process by calling them instead of waiting for them to call you. Either way, we feel this is a con and prefer that they activate your account immediately after purchase and then call you later to verify.
ALSO SEE: Check out our guide to shared web hosting to learn more on this type of web hosting
VPS Web Hosting Plans
If your website has outgrown a shared hosting plan, the next step is to consider a VPS web hosting account. InMotion Hosting offers a great mix of performance, price, and features in all their VPS plans. The InMotion Hosting VPS accounts offer better security and improved performance over traditional shared web hosting plans. Furthermore, InMotion Hosting has recently updated their VPS line with a new feature which they call “High Availability VPS”. This is a cloud based platform that offers greater redundancy and almost instantaneous recovery in the event of a server failure. Your site(s) should experience virtually zero downtime. Furthermore, VPS customers can monitor their RAM, disk space, page load times, and bandwidth usage directly from the AMP control panel.
Here's a quick price overview of their VPS plans:
|VPS Hosting Plans:||Introductory Price:||Renewal Price:||Compare:|
Key Features We Like:
- CMS websites will see strong performance gains by upgrading to a VPS-1000S account with InMotion Hosting. These plans offer around 12 times the RAM memory available on shared hosting accounts. The VPS-1000S account is the first step to take when upgrading a website due to web traffic, database, and script processing requirements.
- Developers of high performance web and mobile applications can custom configure the VPS-2000S account at InMotion Hosting to fine tune the server environment for maximum technical innovation. “Burstable” RAM capabilities insure that even unexpected traffic spikes will be managed seamlessly without taking the server offline.
- The highest performance ratings for database-driven web sites with many simultaneous users and complex codebases are accorded to the VPS-3000S account. With over 20 times the RAM available compared to shared hosting plans, the VPS-3000S accounts offer the most resources available without upgrading to a fully dedicated server.
- The accounts include free domain registration and dedicated IP addresses for each plan, as well as a full cPanel license for those running CentOS or Cloud Linux on the VPS.
What We Don't Like:
- A free Softaculous licence is not included. You will need to pay for a one-click auto installer.
ALSO SEE: Check out our guide to VPS web hosting to learn more on this type of web hosting
Managed WordPress Web Hosting Plans
InMotion Hosting also offers fully managed WordPress hosting plans, which we would highly recommend for WordPress users. These plans are fully optimized for WordPress utilizing the latest version of PHP, NGINX, and all the current recommended configurations for achieving maximum WordPress performance. Our benchmark testing shows their entry-level WP plan loads over twice as fast as their entry-level shared web hosting plan.
Here's a quick overview of their WordPress web hosting plans. Note that the higher tier plans are available upon request.
|WordPress Hosting Plans:||Introductory Price:||Renewal Price:||Compare:|
Key Features We Like:
- Very fast & fully optimized for WordPress
- Caching is pre-configured and there is no need to add a caching plugin, which speeds WordPress up even further.
- Uses NGINX, a web server which consistently beats Apache in speed and performance.
- WordPress is preinstalled and ready to go.
- Reasonable pricing with 90 day money-back guarantee and a free, no downtime transfer from another web host.
What We Don't Like:
- Should include instructions to notify webmaster that no caching plugin is required.
ALSO SEE: Check out our guide to WordPress web hosting to learn more about WordPress & web hosting.
Reseller Web Hosting Plans
InMotion Hosting offers excellent deals on reseller hosting including bundled licenses for cPanel, WHMCS, and Enom that can save a significant amount of money over independent purchases of the software. For example, a bundled cPanel and WHM license on a dedicated server will currently cost $45 per month and WMHCS licenses range from $15.95 to $39.95 per month if purchased directly from the vendor outside of the InMotion Hosting promotional package. Enom domain reseller licenses cost $50 to $795 when purchased retail from their website. The combined licenses for cPanel, WHMCS, and Enom provide all of the tools required to sell domain names and web hosting services under a white label branding system or as part of an independent small business.
Here's a quick overview of their reseller web hosting plans:
|Reseller Hosting Plans:||Introductory Price:||Renewal Price:||Compare:|
Key Features We Like:
- The R-1000S reseller account at InMotion Hosting has the same configuration as their shared hosting based on accelerated SSD hardware and the ability to host unlimited domains. This account is excellent for web masters and small businesses in web promotions or social media marketing with many client websites under management.
- InMotion Hosting offers two free hours of dedicated technical support with the purchase of a R-3000S reseller account, designed to facilitate complex migrations of multiple domain names to the new servers. This plan is recommended for web developers and independent web professionals with many client domains under management who are looking for a higher performance hosting company with a lower cost basis and great technical support over competitors.
- InMotion Hosting's reseller hosting can be a viable option for small businesses like web development companies, graphic design firms, social media marketers, and freelance professionals providing web services to clients. By purchasing wholesale IT resources at the InMotion Hosting data center, it is possible to create a white label web hosting site under a new brand name using these packages. The external costs of the included add-on licenses for cPanel, WHMCS, and Enom combined with the superior resources of InMotion Hosting's shared plans make the reseller accounts a great value. Companies without the need to resell domains and SSL certificates or bill customers for hosting space using WHMCS are advised to simply sign-up for the Shared Business Pro hosting plan, as it does offer cPanel and unlimited domain support at a lower overall cost.
- Released a new product called Reseller Advantage which helps customers gets their website, eNom, and automation easily setup for them through WHMCS.
What We Don't Like:
- The only major difference in the R-2000S reseller account over the introductory package is the 50% increase in allocated storage, bandwidth, and price. Most reseller partners are advised to start with the R-1000S account and only upgrade to the R-2000S if the websites under management exceed the monthly limits.
ALSO SEE: Check out our guide to reseller web hosting to learn more on this type of web hosting
Dedicated Server Web Hosting Plans
InMotion Hosting offers a variety of dedicated servers with elite hardware configurations in their Tier-1 data center facilities in Los Angeles. These are recommended for enterprise-level web & mobile apps with massive amounts of traffic, huge database storage requirements, and large archives of media files that must be hosted with custom server extensions. InMotion Hosting offers managed services for dedicated server architecture at their data center, which includes pre-configured hardware availability and regular security updates for installed software packages. Each dedicated server includes a free Solid State drive (SSD) and a “double RAM” promotion for further cost savings on comparable plans at other companies. Raid storage, zero downtime kernel upgrades, a free cPanel license, and world class technical support including “1 to 1” communication with the systems administrators at the InMotion Hosting data center are all part of each dedicated server account.
Here's a quick overview of their Dedicated web hosting plans:
|Dedicated Plans:||Introductory Price:||Renewal Price:||Compare:|
|Commercial Class 500||$419.99/mo||$419.99/mo||View Details|
|Commercial Class 1000||$439.99/mo||$489.99/mo||View Details|
|Commercial Class 2000||$539.99/mo||$589.99/mo||View Details|
Key Features We Like:
- The “Essential” Dedicated Server account at InMotion Hosting offers an Intel Xeon quad-core CPU with 500 GB SSD and 8GB of RAM at a price equivalent to what many companies charge for VPS hosting accounts. Take advantage of the pricing to secure a great deal. This plan is excellent for high traffic web and mobile applications.
- The “Advanced” account includes 10 dedicated IP addresses and 10TB of monthly data transfer, making this plan recommended for hosting many high traffic ecommerce accounts on a single server. Multi-threaded Intel architecture clocked at 3.9GHz means that all of the database activity from simultaneous users can be managed at around $15 per month per site when fully optimized.
- With over 84 times the RAM memory allocated to most shared hosting accounts used for multiple domain management and 15 dedicated IP addresses, the “Elite” account at InMotion Hosting is optimized for multi-site hosting under the most demanding user traffic conditions. When combined with database optimization and advanced page caching software, this server package can be used to host multiple domains, a single high-performance website, or advanced mobile apps.
- The “Commercial Class 1000” plan at InMotion Hosting is ideal for companies who need to outsource their IT requirements to a data center to save money on in-house costs and host multiple domains to the public. The inclusion of ECC RAM is recommended for ecommerce or financial websites where data integrity is critical for custom-coded applications in high-performance environments.
- The InMotion Hosting “Commercial Class 2000” is a top-of-the-line dedicated server based in a world class, Tier 1 data center that can be custom configured through “1 on 1” support with technicians on a monthly basis. Website owners and mobile apps with large user communities can build on this architecture which includes Intel octa-core processing, multiple SSDs, and around 170 times the RAM found on a standard shared hosting account.
What We Don't Like:
- Really nothing worth noting. InMotion Hosting offers exceptional dedicated server plans.
ALSO SEE: Check out our guide to dedicated web hosting to learn more on this type of web hosting
Managing your hosting account with InMotion Hosting is very straight forward and has been well streamlined. If you’ve never hosted a site before, there’s always a bit of a learning curve. Regardless of which hosting plan you purchase, you’ll first login to their AMP (Account Management Panel).
The Account Management Panel
The AMP is where you’ll manage your overall account with InMotion Hosting, such as updating billing & contact information, purchasing add-ons, upgrading or downgrading features, contacting technical support, reading tutorials, etc. We really love the InMotion Hosting AMP and it feels very efficient and well organized. Both beginners and experienced users will appreciate the layout with easy access to all of the most popular tools and pertinent services.
One important aspect of the AMP framework offered by InMotion Hosting is that it allows site owners to seamlessly upgrade between services, for example when scaling a site from a shared hosting account to VPS or a dedicated server. Additionally, the AMP administration section makes it easy to launch WordPress tools, cPanel, or Softaculous for script installation. The GUI is also designed in a way that makes it easy to contact customer service, sales representatives, or technical support officers by just a single click through the interface.
The Control Panel
The screenshot below shows cPanel with the Paper Lantern theme which is installed by default at InMotion Hosting.
InMotion Hosting uses cPanel, the industry standard server administration panel for Linux-based web hosts. cPanel is widely used in the web hosting industry, and most people prefer it over Plesk or proprietary administration panels for managing domain names and server configurations. The InMotion Hosting integration of cPanel with AMP uses no customized themes or modified branding. With cPanel, you can install MySQL databases, change the PHP settings on the server, establish email and FTP accounts, as well as configure subdomains to use in web development. Softaculous is accessible through both AMP and cPanel, offering over 400 open source scripts in a “one click” installation framework in order to deploy websites quickly. There are also a variety of useful analytics, statistics, and traffic charts for each domain that can be accessed for review.
InMotion Hosting utilizes 2 data centers strategically located on the West & East coasts of the United States. Customers can choose which data center they would like their website hosted on for optimized performance. InMotion Hosting uses a proprietary framework branded as “Max Speed Zones™” to offer up to 6x the speed on data transfers using geo-locative routing technology. The Tier-1 network facilities offered by the InMotion Hosting data centers include the ability to route transfers through different service providers adding layers of protection for unexpected outages. With this comes a 99.9% uptime guarantee under Category A, PCI compliant standards.
We continually test and monitor the performance of InMotion Hosting with Pingdom site monitoring tools to get a more technical measure of performance data. The results below are dynamically pulled from Pingdom:
Average Performance Stats for a Base Shared Hosting Plan:
- Server uptime: 99.99%
- Server response time: 290ms
- # of monthly outages: 2
- Monthly total downtime: 5 minutes
- Test location: North America
- Hosting type tested: Shared
- Hosting plan tested: Launch
- Average page load speed: 550ms
NOTE ABOUT TEST STATS: Keep in mind the above data is not fully representative of all the websites hosted on InMotion Hosting. There are too many factors that influence performance stats – including the specific server the site is hosted on, the web hosting plan chosen, the optimization of the actual website, scheduled maintenance, geolocation, etc. Our tests are performed on the base shared hosting accounts for each web host reviewed to showcase the most modest performance stats.
We've always found InMotion Hosting's customer support to be phenomonal and would rank them a 5 out of 5 for ourselves. The company has disclosed to us that their internal feedback from 20,418 customers over the last year revealed a 4.72 out of 5 possitive customer rating, which is excellent for a web host.
Key Customer Support Features:
- Vertical division of Helpdesk contacts for billing, tech support, sales, affiliates, etc.
- Provides 24×7 US-based support via phone, chat, and email. Live chat is the most popular option, but phone support is the fastest and recommended.
- 2 to 3 minutes of average wait time via phone.
- 3 to 5 minutes of average wait time via live chat.
- Phone support is located in Virginia Beach, VA and Denver, CO.
- All plans come with free support, however, they do have a Managed Hosting team which is a premium version of support. They mainly work with VPS and Dedicated Server clients with more complex needs. They offer consultation, custom setups, software installation, platform optimization, and more.
- Server status page with 24/7 hotline to check for reports on data center uptime issues.
- Opened a new office in Denver, CO to increase the number of support reps. They now have over 50 employees at that office, in addition to about 300 in Virginia Beach.
DID YOU KNOW? InMotion Hosting has been a 3 Star CNET certified web host since 2003 and running. That's over 15 years!
InMotion Hosting takes your website and account security very seriously and utilizes all the current security standards. Here's some details they shared with us:
- Uses Corero’s SmartWall for DDoS attack mitigation.
- Their facilities use state-of-the-art features like biometric sensors, keycard access, and video monitoring. This ensures that only a limited number of people have physical access to our client’s secure data – and all access is logged.
- Two factor authentication (2FA) is available for VPS and Dedicated Server customers. They are currently working on getting 2FA for all other customers.
- a. Customers can set a developer passphrase which allows their developer to interact with our Support team for technical assistance, but limits their ability to access billing-related information.
- For shared hosting customers, backups are made up to 10GB every 24-36 hours. Each cPanel under Reseller plans, up to 10GB, are also backed up every 24-36 hours.
- SpamAssassin, a built in cPanel tool, is included with all plans. They have also partnered with Sucuri for website malware cleanup, protection, and monitoring services.
- All hosting plans come with a free SSL. Third party SSLs can also be installed. VPS and Dedicated Server accounts have access to cPanel’s Auto SSL feature that can instantly install SSLs on all of their websites.
- Dedicated IPs can be purchased for $4 per month (billed annually at $48 per year). VPS and Dedicated Server plans include complimentary dedicated IP addresses.
- Recently added a feature called Patchman that detects malware vulnerabilities on websites and servers and automatically patches them. If a site has already been compromised, Patchman also detects and quarantines the affected files.
Here are some frequently asked questions you may have about InMotion Hosting:
You can order a web hosting plan from InMotion by visiting their website, www.inmotionhosting.com. Choose the appropriate hosting plan you want, then click “Order Now”. Select the term (12 months or 24 months) and click continue. Next, choose a domain name or if you already have a domain name, you can use your existing one. Decline or accept any extra services. Then enter your billing and payment info to place the order.
InMotion Hosting accepts all major credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, & Discover) but does not use PayPal.
You can cancel your account at any time. You will need to submit a cancellation notice online via their electronic cancellation form.
Conclusion – To Host or Not to Host?
Choosing the best web hosting company to host your website is an important decision with a lot of factors to take into consideration. Be sure to carefully compare what InMotion Hosting offers to see if their services are right for you.
For a full list of all InMotion Hosting features, you can visit their website at www.inmotionhosting.com.
Ready to Buy? Use a InMotion Hosting Coupon!
Check out our InMotion Hosting coupons page with an up-to-date list of special offers and the lowest prices InMotion Hosting is currently offering.
Let Us Know Your Thoughts
Have you used InMotion Hosting before? Have any positive or negative experience you’d like to share with us? Email us your honest feedback at .